Splitter light 4.0 readme
You want to save your data to floppy disks, but the file is too large ? With Splitter you can split the data in parts of 1.44 MB or other sizes. Because Splitter is extremely small (only 55KB), you can deliver it easily with the first disk for joining.
- Splitter splits files or whole directories (including subdirectories).
- You can select any size of parts you like.
- Splitter is able to handle very large parts (only limited by the operating system).
- No installation necessary, Splitter can run from a floppy disk.
- The date of the original files will be restored.
- Drag & drop from the windows explorer.
- Splitter optionally creates batch files for rejoining.
- Full commandline support.
What's new in this version
In this version, Splitter was renamed to Splitter light, the name was chosen because Splitter is a very small program and to distinguish it from other splitters. Splitter can now create batch files for joining, run from the commandline and display the progress, the code was totally revised. The organisation of the parts has changed too, so Splitter becomes more compatible to other splitters.
- Start Splitter and select the file/directory you want to split. Example: C:\Music\Jazz.mp3
- Select an output directory D:\Temp. It's not possible to write directly to a removable drive (diskette/CD).
- Finally select the size of parts you want to create and press the Split button. Splitter will generate the parts and the header files, the original data never will be touched. D:\Temp\Jazz.mp3.001, D:\Temp\Jazz.mp3.002, D:\Temp\Jazz.mp3.h001
- If the option copy splitter was set, then Splitter will be copied to the output directory for easier delivering. D:\Temp\Splitter.exe
- If the option create batchfile was set, then Splitter creates a batchfile, which can be used for joining. D:\Temp\Jazz.bat
The first two files in this sample are partfiles, the last file is the headerfile. The headerfile stores extra information e.g. the filedate or the directory structure in case of splitting a directory.
- To join the parts, select one of the parts. The parts can be read directly from diskette/CD. Example: D:\Temp\Jazz.mp3.001
- Select an output directory C:\Music. It's not possible to write directly to a removable drive (diskette/CD).
- Press the Join button, no further informations are necessary. Splitter recreates the original file(s) and directori(es). C:\Music\Jazz.mp3
If a part can't be found, Splitter asks for the next diskette, or you can search for the file yourself.
Splitter light can be started from the command line, this is useful for using Splitter inside a script (batch file) or to call it from an other application. Following parameters are available, they are all optional:
SPLITTER [inputfile] [outputdir] [/SIZEn] [/COPY] [/BATCH] [/UNSPLIT] [/SILENT] [/NOHEADER]
|Name of the file/directory to split. If the path contains space characters, the name has to be set in quotes.
|Name of the output directory. If the path contains space characters, the name has to be set in quotes.
|Size of the parts [bytes] to create. Replace the n with an integer number (without decimal point).
|Copy Splitter to the output directory.
|Create batchfile for joining.
|Join the parts instead of splitting.
|Splitter starts working without displaying a window. Use this option to start Splitter from a batch file.
|With this parameter, you can join files without having a header file. This way you can join parts, created by another splitter. All parts have to be in a single directory, before you can use this option.
The following example splits all font files into parts of 1 MB.
SPLITTER "C:\Windows\Fonts" "C:\Temp" /SIZE1048576 /SILENT
Following error codes are possible:
|Input file not found
|Output directory not found
|File expected, for joining select a partfile instead of a directory
|Output directory expected, select a directory instead of a file
|Splitter cannot write directly to removable disks
|Invalid size of the parts
|To many parts to create
|IO error from the operating system
Splitter light is freeware, you can make free copies, give it to friends or do whatever you want to do with it. However, you are not allowed to redistribute it in any modified form, or to sell splitter and earn money.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. THE AUTHOR CAN'T BE MADE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES WHICH ARE CAUSED BY USING THIS SOFTWARE.
Copyright 2003 by: Martin Stoeckli
You can visit Splitter's homepage for more information and to check for the current version. If you should have problems, questions or suggestions about Splitter light, or if you simply find it useful, don't hesitate to send me an email.