ExplorerGenie (formerly CopyPathMenu)
ExplorerGenie is an open source extension to the context menu of the Windows explorer, which allows to copy the path of a file to the clipboard, or to open tools like the Command Line. The menu is configurable, so that you get those functions you really need.
- Copies the path to the clipboard in several formats, e.g. as link to insert in e-mails.
- Opens tools like the Command Line or Power Shell, if required they can be opened as admin.
- Calculates file hashes, e.g. to verify downloaded files from the internet.
- Supports filenames containing UNICODE characters.
- The full source code can be found at GitHub.
What's new in this version
- Added possibility to add user defined menu entries for the "goto tool" command.
- Several minor GUI improvements, such as buttons to copy file paths and calculated hashes.
- Contains Italian translation.
Copy as path
This extension adds a context menu, which can copy the paths of the selected files or directories to the clipboard. Depending on the settings, the path can then be used e.g. to insert a clickable link in an e-mail, or to paste it into a dialog.
Minimal Explorer impact
Because context menus run inside the explorer process itself (shell-extension), and therefore can potentially interfere with this process, we took special care about the stability of this extension.
- The code of the shell extension is kept to a minimum, it only starts the real application, which does the work and is running in its own process.
- The shell extension is written in Delphi, which compiles to native applications. This way we can avoid loading of a (DotNet) runtime and possible version conflicts, and do not impact performance of explorer and file-open dialogs.
Go to tool
This extension makes it easy to open tools like the Command Line or Power Shell. The applications will be opened at the same directory, as the context menu was shown. This makes it a handy shortcut and safes you from navigating in the (sometimes deep) directory tree to the directory of interest. It is possible to add user defined menu entries, which can open other tools, or go to self defined locations.
ExplorerGenie can calculate some well-known hashes for the selected files, the list includes the algorithms MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-256 and RIPEMD-160. Sometimes websites publish a hash together with a downloadable file, so the user can verify that the downloaded file is intact and untampered. Just copy the published hash value from the website and paste it to the verification field, to check whether there is a match.
Copy from everywhere
Since the shell extension is written for 32bit and 64bit, the context menu will not only be available in the Windows explorer, it can also be used inside file dialogs.
The installation is very straightforward, start the setup and confirm the installation. If you are installing over an earlier version, maybe you have to restart the computer before the new version will take action. To uninstall the application, go to the control panel and open the software dialog, there you can desinstall the application.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. THE AUTHOR CAN'T BE MADE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES WHICH ARE CAUSED BY USING THIS SOFTWARE.
Copyright 2020 by: Martin Stoeckli
You can always visit ExplorerGenies's homepage for more information and to check for the current version. If you should have problems, questions or suggestions about it, or if you simply find it useful, don't hesitate to send me an email.